Thursday, August 2, 2007

Food in the North east

As I roll over in bed on Sunday morning, I think to myself, mmm, to-night I will be going out for some fine food. Sunday, I think is an apical day for dining out; something to reward ourselves for the week behind, while also barricading ourselves to face the inevitable Monday of the following week. At the moment I live in the North east of Ireland, so I with my three companions are going systematically through all the restaurants in the area, except of course the ones we are barred from due to idiomatic reasons, such as we refuse to wear evening dress; nothing of course of social condemnation. So far I have sampled food from three places, McBrides, La Cucina and Da Robertos. Well what will I comment on, the décor, the atmosphere or what I found most tantalizing. I think I start with the last, the ice-cream at La Cucina is delicious, mouth-watering, soul fulfilling, an item I heartily recommend. I also noticed that La Cucina does take out pizza, something to note down as a change from the usual Domino’s, not that I criticising American food; as all my friends know I am a great advocate for American food, and nothing is better for a quick snack, than a portion of fries at MacDonalds. However though I should avoid clichés, I can’t help saying, that a change is as good as a break. McBrides, I found had a very spacious atmosphere, the waiter here certainly couldn’t overhear your conversation, a point worth noticing if you were on a romantic meal, La Cucina and Da Robertos unfortunately were negative in this aspect, though both had a friendly and unassuming atmosphere. The pasta at Da Robertos was very nice, I had carbonara and it went down very well, the helpings were generous and I must say extremely filling. Da Roberto’s also had little extra touches, such as a small lemon sorbet between the starter and main course to cleanse the palette, and an aperitif to start the meal off which put us all in rollicking form. In all, so far, I have being pleasantly surprised, by the district’s quality of restaurant.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the Dundalk area is surprising well equipped with good restaurants.

Where are you going to next Sunday?

Raphaela said...

Very good post, Dancer. Thanks for reminding me about La Cucina doing take out pizzas, I had forgotten all about that.

Anonymous said...

sounds very tasty - must try them out