Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Da Robertos

Reading my last 2 blogs I realise that I have a tendenacy to ramble on and, in consequence, they are a bit on the long side. So this one will be shorter. A crisp guide to Da Robertos. It wasn't the S.R. team's first choice for the evening. It had been recommended to me but not by a totally reliable source so I was a bit dubious.

Da RObertos is in Dundalk and is fairly small and unpretentious in appearance. THe service was second to none. Although it was busy, we were shown a table immediately. A candle was lit and the menus were presented. We were given small appertiffs (I think rose but I'm not sure- it was very nice anyway) as we studied the menus. And I mean studied as they were very long! So absolutely loads of choice. A quick aside. I think the free apertiff is a wonderful idea. Firsty we all like something free. Secondly, it got the mood going and was a perfect accompaniment to menu reading.

After we had ordered, we were given free bruscetti like things. A small very tasty snack. This second freebe was totally unexpected. The starters arrived fairly soon. I hadn't ordered one but the bits I sampled from my companions were very nice. Then the third freebie - truly an embarrassment of riches! It was a small lemon sorbet to clense the palette.

I had ordered spagetti bolognese. I have avoided doing this for years as it never lives up to my expectations and I don't know why I broke with tradition this night but it was an excellant inspiration. It was truly delicious. My mouth is watering even now thinking about it. I took the starter size helping which was sufficient for me but it was so nice I might have squeezed the main size portion in. (I usually find the pasta helpings are very big so I was pleased you had the starter size option.)

For desert I had tirimirsu. It was tasty but not up to the standard of the rest of the meal.

I will give DaRobertos a 9 because of its lovely food, wide choice, warm and excellant service, reasonable prices and all round excellance. If the seating was a little more cosy or if an amaretto biscuit was served with the coffee or it the desert menu was half way decent I would have easily given a 10.

4 comments:

Raphaela said...

Another excellent post, B.W

Anonymous said...

Another really interesting post.

One thing I notice about your reports is that the wine list is not discussed in depth - this would be a wonderful addition!

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I went to Da Robertos recently and I have to say it's very nice.

The service was good - when you wanted it - but not in your face.

It did not seem excessively priced either.

Broken Wing said...

to anonymous: yes we do neglect the wine list. The SR team are not big drinkers but point taken and we'll include this in future