Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Quaglinos

It has been 6 weeks at least since the last blog entry and I am sure fans of this site(!!!) must have been disappointed in the intervening period. The stardust gang were just too busy doing other exciting (!!!) things to go out for a meal together. Even todays entry owes more to the fact that it was the Dancer's birthday than the obligations that the stardust team has to their reveiwing duties.

Qualinos is in Roden Place in Dundalk. It used to be in Clanbrassil Street and I had gone to it many years ago in that location and really liked it. I am not really sure if there is much overlap in ownership or personal between the old and the new. ITs new locality is over the Century Bar and you have to climb up some steep over the century old staircases to reach it. Its decor is understated but pleasant. I think there are 2 room, in our room, there were only 4 tables with seating capacity for 12.

We were served by one waiter throughout and he was very friendly pleasant and attentive. The food arrived without any undue delay. It was a little bit cold but that could have been because we were the only diners.

We all choose from the Early Bird Menu which was €26 for 3 courses and coffee. I thought it was excellant value and there was a good choice in courses.

I had vegatable soup for my first course which was ok but certainly not appetising to look out. I choose it mainly to leave room for the rest of my meal and I guessed (correctly) that helpings would be large.

I had madellions of beef for the main course. They were served with vegatables (carrots, mange tout and cauliflower ), a sauce and potatoes. The medallions themselves were on some sort of potatoe as well. THe meat was delicious as were the vegatables. My only quible was that the helping was way too large for me and I asked for well done and it was medium rare (although still delicious).

Desert was a medley of cheesecake, ice cream, toffee pudding and cake with marzipan. I love medleys. They are my favourite kind of desert and indeed I would love starters and even main courses on that principal.

I think that Quaglinos is suited to people who like quiet unpretentious but quality food and surroundings. There was nothing flashy or novel about anything but everything was really pleasant . The value was excellent. Overall I would give it an 7-8.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds a nice place, I must remember it the next time I go out.

Raphaela said...

Excellent review, as always, BW. Well done at nabbing first place.

Anonymous said...

I'm not clear on why the food would be cold if you were the only diners - surely it would be hotter, if anything (not sitting on a table waiting for the waiter to deliver it)?

Broken Wing said...

that was my bad writing, i meant to say that the room was cold. the food termperature was perfect. i would seriously mark down a resturant that served cold food.